Temporary Foreign Workers

Requirement to become a temporary foreign worker:

  • Positive LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment) (if applicable)
  • Temporary resident visa / eTA (if applicable)
  • Job offer / contract
  • Proof of financial support
  • Police certificate and medical examination might be required


LMIA Exemptions:

  • Worker under international agreements
  • Spouses of foreign worker with work permit of 6+ months (foreign worker must be NOC 0 ,A or B)
  • Workers nominated by a province for Permanent Residency with a job offer
  • Entrepreneurs and workers transferred with a company
  • Academics (researchers, guest lecturers, visiting professors, etc)
  • Co-op students
  • People in exchange programs including International Experience Canada
  • Spouses of full-time (non ESL/FSL/General courses) foreign students (spouse must not be enrolled in full time studies)
  • Refugee claimants from non DCO (Designated Country of Origin)
  • Religious workers


Work Permit Exemptions:

  • Academic examiners and evaluators
  • Athletes and coaches competing in Canada
  • Aviation accident or incident investigators
  • Civil aviation inspectors
  • Clergy
  • Convention organizers (not hands on)
  • Crew members
  • Emergency service providers
  • Expert witnesses or investigators
  • Family members of foreign representatives
  • Foreign government officers (formal letter required for 3+ months)
  • Health care student (internship less than 4 months with written approval)
  • Judges, referees and similar officials for internationals amateur competitions
  • Military personnel
  • NAFTA business visitors
  • News reporters, film and media crews and foreign new company
  • Public speakers (up to 5 days)
  • Students working on/off campus
  • Performing artists and key support staff (limited time and not making a movie, television or radio broadcast)


Work permit will not be issued if:

  • There are reasonable grounds to believe the applicant can’t do the work
  • The applicant intends to work in Quebec but doesn’t hold a CAQ
  • The intended work would affect the labour dispute in progress or the job of any person involved in the dispute
  • The foreign national is engaged in unauthorized work or study, or failed to comply with a condition with the last 6 months
  • The foreign national intends to work in erotic services
  • The employer is ineligible to hire foreign nationals
  • The foreign national no longer meets the requirements
  • The applicant is the spouse of a NOC c or D temporary worker