International Students

Canada has many colleges and universities that attract many students from around the world. The following are the requirements for student who wish to study in Canada.


  • Holder of a valid passport or travel document
  • Proof of financial support including;
  • School tuition
  • Living expenses
  • Travel expenses
  • Health insurance
  • Police certificate and medical examination may be required
  • Acceptance letter from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada


Study permit required

  • Program lasting more than 6 months in duration
  • Any programs that requires a coop or an internship
  • Minors travelling with their parent(s) with visitor status
  • People from vis exempt countries


Study permit not required

  • Program lasting less than 6 months in duration
  • Minors attending pre-school or kindergarten
  • Minors who are refugees or refugee claimants
  • Family or staff of a foreign representative accredited by the Global Affairs Canada
  • Members of a foreign armed force under the Visiting Forces Act
  • Citizen of another country with registered Indian status in Canada
  • Minors in Canada accompanying a parent who is allowed to work or study in Canada and will attend pre school, primary or secondary school (CAQ required in Quebec)



  • Grades 1 to 8: 1-year validity and can be renewed in Canada
  • Grades 9 to 12: same length of the study program plus 90 days for a maximum of 4 years
  • College and University: same length of the study program plus 90 days for a maximum of 4 years
  • Students changing school but remain in the same program can keep the same study permit but must update the information to IRCC




Work while studying

  • Work permit not required
  • Holder of a valid study permit
  • Enrolled full time at a post secondary DLI (English and French course takers are not eligible)
  • Holder of a Social Insurance Number (SIN)
  • For off campus work – program must be at least 6 months in duration
  • For off campus work – Can work 20 hours per week during academic sessions and full time during holidays


Post graduation work permit (PGWP)

  • Work permit required
  • Holder of a valid study permit
  • Work permit usually issued for the same duration of the study program for programs more than 8 months and less than 2 years
  • For programs lasting more than 2 years, work permit may be issued for 3 years
  • Must have graduated from a DLI (distance learning is not eligible)
  • Must apply for PGWP within 90 days after official confirmation of completed studies
  • Applicant has not held any prior PGWP